I hope you didn’t all miss me too much! I know it’s been a long time since I’ve posted but I’m working to get back into the swing of things. These brussels sprouts leaves with pancetta and preserved lemon is a tasty zesty combination that even brussels sprouts haters will love. The browned leaves caramelized just right will bring out a bit of sweetness and the bitterness is balanced by the briny taste of the preserved lemons.
I had never had a preserved lemon until my good friend Mary, from paleochef.com introduced me to them. She gifted me a small jar of hers after my fist attempt to make my own turned moldy. If you don’t have a good friend Mary in your life, you can make your own using her recipe or buy them from co-ops and some health food stores (like Rainbow in San Francisco).
Prepare your brussels sprouts by rinsing, drying, cutting off the stems, and peeling off the leaves. Most of them should fall off easily if you cut a little more of the tough stem off. The bottom left of the picture below is what was left of the stems once the leaves were removed.
This dish is really easy to throw together…simply render the fat from the pancetta and set it aside once crisp. Cook your mushrooms for a couple minutes, and remove so they don’t burn or stick to the pan from overcooking like my first batch did. Then cook the brussels sprouts for about 5 minutes, return the mushrooms and pancetta, and preserved lemon and cook 1 more minute and serve warm!
- ¼ lb diced pancetta
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, stem cut off, leaves peeled
- 1 lb shitake mushrooms sliced
- ½ preserved lemon, pulp removed, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon brine from preserved lemon
- Cook pancetta in pan on medium-low heat until it is crispy and fat is rendered. Remove to bowl leaving fat in pan
- Cook mushrooms for 2-3 minutes until near done, remove to bowl
- Add brussels sprouts leaves and cook about 5 minutes until starting to brown and crisp and wilt. Do not overcook or they will become soggy and greasy.
- Add back in mushrooms, preserved lemon, and brine and cook 1 more minute.
- Serve warm